Given certain situations that have been going on as of late, I took some time during the holiday break, sat down with my twin flame Ben, and seriously asked him how he manages to live with me. After we got past the raised eyebrows, he actually told me a few things about myself that made a lot of sense. I have decided to share them here, in hopes that it may be helpful to others in a similar situation.
Why am I so difficult to live with? I am an empath. This is a psy ability, and in a nutshell it means that I pick up on everything around me. Emotions, spirits, energy, you name it. That can be good in some ways, but in others, not so much. But I will leave a full explanation for a later post. Now, onto the tips:
Tips for living with an empath 101 (as told by Ben)
1) Understand that often it’s not you. Part of the gift (and curse) of an empath is that more stuff gets through to him/her than a typical person. When an empath has picked up on something particularly nasty, a major freakout can happen. Sometimes, he/she may say things to you that just don’t make sense. If this happens, don’t take it personally. Be honored that he/she trusts you enough to reach out, even as their world is crashing down around them. Sometimes just asking if they are ok, or telling them that it will be ok can make all the difference in the world.
2) Be consistent. Empaths can, at times pick up on some pretty nasty energy. They may see, hear, feel, or even dream some pretty scary stuff. If that happens, you may need to reassure them that things are ok. Tell him/her that you love them and whatever happens that is not going to change. You may need to repeat this several times, depending on the severity of what’s been picked up.
3) Be patient with yourself and them. Expect that you are going to mess up and occasionally have an issue. However, it is never too late to fix an issue. Realize that once nasty energy has been picked up, it can continue to do damage. Again, depending on what has been picked up, you may need to be the one to initiate contact to clear the air.
4) Be honest! This is a huge one. An empath picks up on everything around them, and can sometimes be overwhelmed by the amount of information coming at them at any given time. Finding out that they have been lied to can be devastating to an empath. This becomes more important the closer the connection is. Always be honest and straightforward when dealing with an empath.
5) Be understanding and take a proactive approach. Realize that you have been given something extremely special by having an empath in your life. You have been blessed with someone who will literally do anything for you. With this gift comes enormous responsibility. Ask them what is going on with them. Point out their strengths. Tell him/her why you love having him/her in your life. This is important.
6) Be a good friend! Empaths can appreciate honesty. However, they cannot handle being ignored. Know that again, you have been given a gift. Expect that this relationship will be unlike any other. Be proactive in reaching out to him/her. Giving a little on a regular basis goes a long way toward preventing major issues. Remember that an empath often feels completely alone in the world and may think that no one understands what they are going through. Telling them, as plainly as possible, that you are here for them and love them can mean a lot. Once you have said that, be ready to listen and follow through.
7) Understand what makes them special, and use that in a positive way. Also, understand their weaknesses, and be ready to work around them. Know that an empath cannot stop certain types of energy from affecting them. For example, loud noises, extremely crowded places, and other events may be over stimulating to an empath. Be sensitive to this, and let him/her know that you understand. (For twin flames only: a trick that works- if your twin is an empath and starts to freak in any situation, grab his/her hand or casually drop an arm around his/her shoulders. The connection to you will block out whatever is causing the issue.)
8) An empath tends to take life very seriously. Plan something fun, and try to get him/her to loosen up. Make them laugh! Also, do not take one on one time lightly. This is important, and becomes more important the deeper your connection to an empath is. Schedule this one on one time and stick to it. An empath needs to have something stable to hold onto, especially during times where there may be a lot of energy bombarding him/her at once. Be that person! Understand that he/she loves and needs to spend time with you without a whole lot of other energies around to serve as a distraction. By knowing that you are willing to take the time and focus on the two of you, an empath will feel more secure and be better able to deal with other issues.
9) Be aware of the benefits of having an empath in your life. In him/her, you will find a loyal friend who will love you unconditionally. This is someone who will have your back no matter what, who would probably die for you. If you need them, there is no question…they are there and you will have their undivided attention. Be aware that they will pick up on your emotions as well…this is something that happens automatically and cannot be helped. Be ready to reassure him/her. Let him/her help you…it will strengthen your connection and again, will prevent issues from him/her isolating themselves inside any negative energies they may be picking up on.
So there you have it! Try these tips and see if life doesn’t get a bit easier.